What is TS 16949?
ISO/TS 16949:2009 is a quality system requirement established by the US, German, French and Italian automotive industry to increase quality and integrity of supplies within the automotive industry. This requirement is applicable to any organization that manufactures and/or supplies components, assemblies and parts to the automotive industry.
The standard is based on ISO 9001:2008, with specific requirements of the automotive sector.
Some of the parts that ISO/TS 16949:2009 complement ISO 9001:2008 include:
Better management involvement
- Senior Management review all important processes and quality objectives are contained within in the business plan
- The quality team are informed of processes that do not meet expectations with the capacity to halt production to correct quality complications
- Management reviews are recorded and contain the cost outcome of poor quality
Better resource management
- A multi-disciplinary approach is recommended to ensure that design, development, production and quality teams are skilled in each area
- Product safety is incorporated into the design and development process
- Employees are driven to reach quality goals, and there are visible contingency plans for any emergencies that could arise
- Erratic application of organization standards across the board are approached as quality and safety concerns
- Product and Process plan and development are a unified process
- A Control Plan to track customer requirements is made, comprising all information concerning the product, processes, measurement, response plan and corrective actions. System alterations are echoed in the Control Plan.
- A plan is determined to recognize, measure and diminish inconsistencies
- Suppliers must be accredited to TS 16949 or ISO 9001
Measurement, Analysis, & Improvement
- Manufacturing process studies are required, with enhancements added to decrease discrepancy
- Layout inspections and functional certifications are required for the product as indicated in the Control Plan
Primary benefits of the ISO/TS 16949:2009 requirement standard include the following:
- Customer satisfaction: This is achieved through the supply of products that constantly meet customer requirements
- Global recognition as a reputable supplier: Certification is recognized and accepted through the automotive supply chain as an industry point of reference
- Reduced cost of compliance with customer specifications: This is attained through application of a single management system and abridged audit requirements
- Reduced operating costs: Ensures continuous improvement of processes and subsequent operational proficiencies
- Legal compliance: Increases awareness of how legislative and regulatory requirements effects the organization and its stakeholders
- Improved risk management: Provides better constancy and traceability of products and services
- Proven business credentials: Offers independent certification against recognized standards
IsoTracker and TS/ISO 16949
The isoTracker document control and quality management software aids organizations to manage the TS/ISO 16949 systems more effectively. Complete the 60-Day Free Trial form now to experience the time and cost-effectiveness of isoTracker.